Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Dogs and Cats, Living Together...Mass Hysteria!

First, I want to link to Cara's recent blog about the earthquake because I think it's pretty funny:

http://whippedcreamwedding.blogspot.com/2010/02/earth-what.html


Secondly, I have to quote Ghostbusters in light of both the snow storm and earthquake.

Dr. Peter Venkman: This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions.
Mayor: What do you mean, "biblical"?
Dr Ray Stantz: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Mayor, real wrath of God type stuff.
Dr. Peter Venkman: Exactly.
Dr Ray Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats, living together... mass hysteria!



Now, let me first say that I lived in central Illinois for 25 years and now in northern Illinois for two. In the 25 years in central Illinois I experienced one earthquake and it was in the late 80's. I've been up north for two years and have already been through two!

Now, granted, these are all mild rumblings that at the most knocked some dvd's off the top of the TV and made the dog bark. It's quite amazing how the human brain can analyze and create a theory on the situation in an instant. I woke up to the sound and shaking and immediately thought Cara's blood sugar was low and she had fallen into a wall while trying to get to the kitchen. For anyone who gets low blood sugar (but especially for person's with diabetes) it can really cause them to be very disorientated. Sometimes they can't even respond to you. I've been through that once with her and have never been more scared.

To quickly tell that story, we were in North Carolina on vacation and our first morning there she wasn't responding to me when I tried to wake her up. She could look at me, but couldn't focus or talk. My heart started to race as I tossed the room looking for anyone to jump her glucose level. A granola bar (not the best option) was all we had, so I started feeding it to her. I think I ended up getting her a regular soda (one of the best options in a pinch) after that.

Blood sugar (glucose) levels are a funny thing. You can plan and adjust to them all you want, but really, sometimes crazy things happen. All you can do is be prepared to handle them when they do.

So this is what I thought was happening right when I woke up. I jumped out of bed and flipped the lights on. Sadie started to run to the front door and bark thinking someone was there. I saw Cara on the floor next to the bed. To me, this fell in line with what I had thought was happening.

I went down to her and kept calling her name. She responded fine and was fine. Apparently, she had a hard time sleeping on the bed last night and decided to give the floor a try. She felt the quake as well, but wasn't woken so strongly by it as I was.

Having gone from sound asleep to awake, confused and full of adrenaline in just a few seconds takes a while to come down from. About a half-hour later I was back asleep, a good hour before my 5:30 alarm goes off.

So while today's top stories in northern Illinois may involve all the snow and the small quake, my top story to report and to maintain is just how lucky I am to have such a great girl in my life.

I can't wait to take her out for her birthday tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment